Tuesday, September 25, 2007

100th post

My heart is overflowing.

When we see Jesus so clearly- see God's hand- revel in His majesty, in His goodness- it is hard not to be full to the brim, spilling over.


Last Friday, I had the opportunity to worship in an old New England church, dimly lit by candles and the glow of the overhead machine. Times of absolute stillness and reflection, corporate prayers, scriptures shared, repentance made, concerns lifted to God, acknowledgment of the Greatness and Holiness of God, blasts from the past 80's choruses mixed with modern worship- hearts revealed.


It was truly the most authentic worship experience I have ever been a part of. I was humbled by my lack of worship- my lack of expression. The evening was a step out of the safety of my comfort zone- unraveling the traditions of my past experience, revealing my own insecurities in emotional expression, and exposing my limited view of God. The evening challenged me to rise to a new level of expression and my inability to being truly honest before God. My prayer is that worship would seep into every part of me- be part of every day- not just an experience. But, significant experiences do spur us on and show us what can be, what should be and what is.


I praise God for Monday afternoon- stealing away, forgetting the to-do's that are enclosing me. Sitting with a cup of delicious coffee, gazing across the water at the gorgeous views God has given us. Watching the fat little chipmunk, cheeks full of acorns. Hearing the frogs jump in and out of the water. The warm sun beating down, so warming. The gift of time with someone I'm growing to respect and care for. Pulling back the layers- hearts revealed, weaknesses exposed, accomplishments celebrated, truth shared, smiles, laughter, warmth, time, natural, comfort, real, peace....


"When I cannot understand My Father's leading,
And it seems to be but hard and cruel fate,
Still I hear the gentle whisper ever pleading,
God is working, God is faithful, ONLY WAIT."
September 24th, Streams in the Desert

No comments: