Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A Whirlwind Weekend...

I’m back from my trip to Haiti. What a whirlwind! It felt like I was gone for a week and not four days. That’s not a bad thing- the days were so long and full…We had an amazing time. God did “immeasurably above and beyond” what we ever thought possible.

Here are the highlights:

  1. Our flights were smooth and all of our luggage made it and was transferred to the right people (we were bringing some bags down for another mission).

  2. The road out to Pestel was so bumpy. Potholes everywhere…more like craters! We didn’t have far to go but could only travel at about 10 miles/hr- so it was slow going! Thank goodness it was dark when we were driving or we would have seen that we were driving very close to the edge of the mountain! Yikes!


3. The place we stayed was quite comfortable. My dad and I shared a room- He was very patient to go outside with me every time I had to use the outhouse. I was afraid that someone would walk in on me while I was “occupied”.


4. It was great to be in Haiti with my dad- he was such a good sport with trying new foods, surviving the bumpy roads and meeting so many people. He seemed to really have a good time. It was especially good to have him along as he offered a lot of wisdom and advice throughout the trip.

5. Our land is HUGE. It is just a minute’s walk from where we stayed. Initially, I saw a small rectangle piece and thought that was all we had. It was small but larger than I was expecting. We started to explore the land and discovered that our piece kept going and going. We purchased it for such a small price and received such a huge plot! The area in front will be perfect for a sports field!


6. Our meeting was a huge success. We had invited 19 pastors and school administrators. We prayed that we would have 10 show up. We were stunned when the room was packed with over 40 men and women. Some even came from other villages in the county to hear our presentation. They were so happy to hear our plans and offered a lot of suggestions and ideas. One particular man was a huge encouragement to me as he said that he knew we were doing this project for no self-gain but because God wanted us to! I was so glad that they “got it”. Another young man specifically asked me if we would hold children’s Bible clubs. This is my heartbeat and I was so happy to be able to tell him that we would not only hold clubs but train the teachers to conduct the clubs too.


7. The trip was full of new experiences- I was able to visit a number of communities that I had never been too. It was so beautiful and each place was unique.


8. I was able to visit with a number of friends from PWH and that was an incredible blessing. My sponsored children came to see me- and I loved seeing them and especially seeing my little girl in the clothes I had bought her.


9. God orchestrated a “chance” meeting (though there are no chances with God!) with a pastor that I have a huge amount of respect for. He offered a lot of wisdom regarding ministry and personal things. It was defiantly the highlight of the weekend.


10. And last but not least- I was able to spend the weekend with my two closest Haitian friends. They were our constant companions- took such good care of us too. We laughed so much and truly enjoyed each other’s company. I miss them so much!


Thank you all for your prayers! There is a lot to do now- surveying the land, final paperwork on the land, fundraising, choosing representatives from the village to work with us, meeting with our Advisory Council…so much to do. Pray for us.
Love to you all…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it looks like you were pretty busy. that was so great for your dad to be with you too. that's awesome the response you got from the haitians, so great! the Holy Spirit was definitely working already among the people, how good is our God!