Saturday, May 20, 2006

Roma

My first trip oversees was to Rome over Thanksgiving, 2003. Alicia and I went on a pre-wedding best friend holiday. Our trip was full of adventures- new sights and experiences. Most importantly, Alicia and I created some very special memories! Here are some of my favorite reminisces...


Alicia getting ready to throw her 3 coins in the Trevi Fountain


This unashamed women immediately stole our coins with her magnetic pole.


One of our highlights was a day trip to Pompeii. We took a train down through Naples and were able to enjoy the beautiful coastal countryside. When we arrived, we got caught in a downpour so we took refuge in a cafe across from the Pompeii ruins. After the rain stopped, we ventured into the ruins and had the town basically to ourselves. As we journeyed up and down the streets of Pompeii, Alicia and I tried to figure out what each building had been used for. We happened upon on building that was open to the street and had a long counter along the street. In the counter were carved out basins. Alicia thought that these were stores and the basins were used to serve food. I thought to myself, "How silly! That can't be what they were used for!" Come to find out- she was right! The marble counters were brilliant and this picture reminds me to trust Alicia- she knows what she's talking about!

I love this picture. In the midst of a rainy day, full of old gray, broken down ruins- there was this brilliant patch of green grass growing!


Alicia and I re-enacted the Gladiators marching into the Pompeii Colosseum for battle!


Our first evening in Rome, we enjoyed dinner across the street from the Colosseum. It is beautiful at night! We returned during the day for a tour! It was a dream come true to explore this treasure.


Palatine Hill and The Roman Forum were incredible. Walking among and touching the ruins of the heart of Ancient Rome was exhilarating. This is the home of the Vestal Virgins- their job was to keep the eternal flame of Vesta lighted and were kept under the "watchful" eye of the priests!


Can't wait to travel again with Alicia- ask her about the waiter at the pizzeria along the Appian Way. And ask her about the Oriental restaurant and ordering a little vino!

1 comment:

Matt and Alicia DeWever said...

I dedicate my most recent entry to you, my Rome companion: Check out what I made at home last night! Love you to bits, girl! PS: Matt got the job for one-on-one aiding at Russell Elementary School in Rumney, and I think he'll work at Harris' in the summers. He might be back to selling furniture sooner than we think! Good for him!
~Alicia