Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Last Saturday, the men of our church hosted a "Daughter's Dinner"- honoring all women of the church. They invited a special speaker- who shared the following song with us.

I'm in His Hands

I shall not fear though darkened clouds may gather 'round me
The God I serve is one who cares and understands
Although the storms I face would threaten to confound me,
of this I am assured, I'm in His hands.

I'm in His hands
What'eer the future holds
I'm in His hands
The days I cannot see have all been planned for me
His way is best, you see
I'm in His hands.

What though I cannot know the way that lies before me?
I still can trust and freely follow his commands
My faith is firm since it is He that watches o'er me
Of this I'm confident, I'm in His hands

In days gone by my Lord has always proved sufficient
When I have yielded to the law of love's demands
Why should I doubt that He would ever more be present
to make His will my own! I'm in His hands

I love the line- "my Lord has always proved sufficient" and "to make His will my own".
That is my prayer- that my desires would be replaced by those that are HIS. That His plans would be the plans of my heart instead of attempting to settle for the plans I have for myself.

It has been a busy few days- but I'm excited to see God actively at work. In the simple things (driving home today- I was in awe of the sunshine!) In His perfect timing (the van situation especially). In His confirmation (areas where I've had doubt- and to see that those decisions were right all along). In the peace He provides.

One of my students lost his father yesterday. The mother and I spoke soon after and I knew most of the day yesterday (before the student). It was hard to know and not be able to offer him comfort, when I knew in a few short hours (once he heard the news), his life was never going to be the same. He came to school today. He sought me out a number of times and we just sat together. He shared memories of his dad and what the last few days have been like. In those moments, I felt so utterly helpless. Nothing I can offer will ease his pain, change his circumstances or bring his daddy back. I pray that I am able to offer him comfort and a safe place where he can vent and express what is on his heart- and most importantly, I pray that I can offer him the love of the one who longs to be his Heavenly Daddy- the only one who can fill the void in his heart.

Always-
Elisabeth

1 comment:

Angela said...

You ARE doing things for that student, though. You are a comforting presence, a listening ear, and a praying teacher. What a difference you are making in their lives!!