Saturday, August 02, 2008

Germany Pics

Hello from Germany!

Below are two of my recent email updates-

Wednesday, 7/30/08

Tomorrow is the day! Our campers arrive at 1pm (7am EST)! We are excited to have them come but I think we're all a bit nervous. I know thatI am! We had a good flight over- but ran into some problems finding the right train from the airport to Basal. It was frustrating for a bit (especiallywith all of our luggage)- but the Lord sent a lovely Swiss couple to help us.We arrived hot and tired- and so thankful to settle into Maugenhard- our home for the next two weeks. This is a boys dorm for Black ForestAcademy. It is very comfortable and homey. I have my own room- which allows me a quiet place to prepare- especially once our house is full of manyexcited German teens. Our first three days were spent getting ready for camp. There are actually three camps going on right now at different locations. We had some training sessions all together. In the process, I discovered that the material I was provided was not challenging enough for the students I will be teaching (advanced level).This was initially very frustrating as I had put many hours at home into preparing lessons/materials. So, I've had to start over from scratch.But after some prayer, encouragement and time to re-plan- I have the first two days mapped out. God is using the circumstances here to force me to set myself aside- and allow Him to work. This experience has taken me out of my comfort zone- and I know this is exactly what I needed. It is exciting to see God at work in our staff already- and to know thatHe will be doing the same in the lives in our teens. Today, we were able to take a day trip into Luzerne, Switzerland. We enjoyed a beautiful drive. The city is gorgeous. We were able to see the old city walls and some beautiful old homes and churches. It was lovely to sit by the river in the shade and enjoy the swans. It was a great day to just relax and get to know our team better before we jump into camp. Please be in prayer as our campers come tomorrow. We know that God is going to be working mightily in the lives of the 30 teens- our prayeris that each teen will leave with a growing, personal relationship with Christ.Pray that we are an authentic representation of the love of Christ.

Friday, 8/1/08

What an amazing day we've had! It's hard to believe that just yesterday our campers arrived! We have already fallen in love with themand even chosen a few favorites! For any bit of nervousness they had when they came, it has now been replaced with smiles, laughter and TONS of energy. Our first full day with campers went really well. My class includes 8 boys and 2 girls, ages 15-17. The girls are as sweet as canbe. I've enjoyed just sitting with them, talking, singing and answering their questions. My boys, who seem to think that their smiles and charm willget them out of "hard work", have stolen my heart. Today, we simply got to know each other. I shared a powerpoint of pictures from home and they enjoyed "meeting" loved ones in CT. We played a game called "Would you rather?" where they were given crazy scenarios that they had to pick from and explain why they choose the one they did. They especially enjoyed asking me some pretty far out questions from the game.The most special time was sharing with them a mini-devotional from Matthew 22:37-39 and talking about loving God with our entire being and loving others.Each day, they are asked to respond to journal prompts which I read and respond to. Today, they were asked to tell me their "God Story". What a treasureto read about their relationship with the Lord- and to be able to respond back, heart to heart. One girl came later and thanked me for what I shared. This experience is a thrill- I'm enjoying every moment! Our team is working so well together - and truly enjoying one another.I know already, it will be so difficult to leave English Camp. Please continue to pray that spiritual battles will be won here at English camp. There are some hard hearts- but God has already begun a workin them and is softening them. Pray for encouragement and spiritual growth for these precious young people.

Serving with JOY (more than I can say!)

Elisabeth

No comments: