Friday, February 24, 2006

My Cohort


Last weekend was great!  My best friend Alicia (and her adorable hubby Matt) live just 3 hours north in New Hampshire.  I am so fortunate to have her so close- and I am really trying to visit more often because she is my most favorite person.  

Alicia and I became friends about 11 years ago.  She is two years younger than me, so we really didn’t “hang out” at church growing up.  I had spent two summers teaching children’s Bible clubs and needed to partner with someone from my home church.  Alicia was my first choice.  She was fun, spunky and I knew we would get along.  I was surprised when her mom said she could work with me all summer!  We had more fun those two summers.  Little adventures everyday- garbage digging, meeting some unique people, working with diverse kids!  And, Alicia was so patient with a stubborn, know-it-all partner.  We only fought one time (that we can recall).  It was over something so stupid- I don’t think either of us remembers what it was.  But I remember we refused to talk to each other and then had to be guests at this house and put on a sweet “missionary” front!  That night, we made up and then designed fabulous Jelly Belly flavors for each other.

Our friendship has grown over the years- and no matter the distance; we always come back to the place where we left off.  It is a comfortable place, where we are both free to be vulnerable.  Alicia knows me so well and I can’t hide anything from her.  She is sincere, willing to listen, provides counsel and correction when I need it and has given unconditional love when I didn’t deserve it.  What makes our friendship so special is that it has always been centered on our relationship with the Lord.  It was ministry that drew us together in the beginning and our desire to pursue Christ maintains our friendship.

One of my brightest memories is from a period in my life that was very dark.  I had experienced some very deep hurts and was pretty angry with God for allowing it to happen.  Alicia was patient through the whole process- offering counsel when needed and wisely listening too.  One night, sitting in her dorm room- she took the opportunity to remind me of God’s enduring love.  She gracefully and boldly read Psalm 136- reminding me that even in the darkest moments, God’s love shines through and remains.  It was a turning point in my relationship with the Lord and I am thankful that she willing risked herself to declare truth to me.

I am thankful for the friends that God has provided for me.  All so unique and different.  Each brings various strengths that complement my weaknesses.  From them, I learn so much.  I am thankful especially for Alicia- and look forward to many adventures as our lives continue to be intertwined.

PS- And I’m pretty glad her husband likes me too…or we’d have problems!

2 comments:

Matt and Alicia DeWever said...

Imagine my surprise to see MY picture on your blog! Ane one of my best close-ups, to be sure...
Oh, Elis-thank you. I was thinking the other day about our Italian adventure(s) and how cool that was. How do you say "thank you" for the Coliseo? How do you say thank you for enduring & faithful counsel?
Well, I'm still not quite sure.
On a side note (put those tears away, Alicia): I made Tiramisu yesterday (with plenty of Kahluah) and brought it to church. The kids really liked it! And were surprisingly CALM that night... tee hee hee

Anonymous said...

I love the friendship you both have, and I just want to thank you for sometimes letting me into the mix. I really enjoy my time with all of you- yes, the means Matt, too. I am amazed how the bond of Christ just holds us together no matter the amount of time we spend together. Thank you for being a solid and loving friend throughout my whole life!!