Friday, September 01, 2006

Harry Wong is my hero!


Harry Wong! Have you heard of this man? He is my guru- my sensei
When I first started teaching I got this book called ,"The first days of school" I might have looked at it- but I don't remember. Now, my classes weren't out of control- but this Wong guy knows what he is talking about. I implemented his strategies/procedures day one- and it has been a breeze. My kids enter my classroom quietly and immediately do what I instructed them to do day one. They do it even when I'm not in the classroom. Amazing! My goal is to finish reading the book over the LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG weekend. Another reason I love teaching.

I've always loved teaching. I enjoy the atmosphere, my colleagues, the students, the energy. I just hate the grading. It's not a paperwork thing- I like paperwork, administrative paperwork that is. But not the read a zillion essays over and over again. And then having to come up with a fair grade. It is not as easy as it seems.

So- this was my first week back at school. I have enjoyed myself immensely. The days have flown by- partly due to a great schedule, partly due to great classes and partly due to the fact that I love what I'm doing. The day is very busy between tracking down staff and kids- getting assignments and helping students complete them. But when the day is done, the day is done. I have had a few late nights this week at work and at home- typing up IEP info on each student that I case manage. But once it's done, it's done. Now, come spring and I have to do Trinnials and Annual evaluations- it may be a different story.

My kids are great- some are troubled but most just want to be loved and have someone care. This week we have focused on organization- drilling into their tiny heads about the necessity of an assignment notebook. They are all doing pretty well with it.

I love my department- we've been supportive of one another, giving smiles and encouragement this week! My department head is great- strong but great.

So, this weekend will be an easy one for me. No grading- just a wee bit of prep for next week. I do have a few major PPT's on Friday which should be full of the exciting and perhaps a bit of the dangerous. We'll see. It's the Fair weekend- with forecasts of rain so that may put a damper on activities. But, I have a breakfast date in the morning with my pal Alissa- Alicia and Matt are coming in Sat. night so we will have a good time. Monday morning is our annual Labor Day breakfast which I always enjoy. I may just head to the fair- I haven't decided yet.

Hope you all are enjoying your days as much as I am.
~ Love to you all ~

1 comment:

THE Cynical Fat Girl said...

So... Just in case you missed it on the cover of the book, which I own, and is posted right next to your blog entry.... It's HARRY Wong... Thought you'd like to know, since he is your "HERO", "GURU" and "SENSEI".

But, I do agree, he is pretty on the mark. Helped me out in my classroom.