Monday, December 31, 2007

Christmas Vacation is coming to a close- bitter sweet (well, a lot more bitter than sweet!). I know there are things coming, past Christmas, that I'm really looking forward to (Spa Day, Snow Camp, Missions Rally, New Orleans Trip, Teens Involved)- but vacation always reminds me of how much I enjoy just being- just spending my day however I choose, having the freedom to do and go where I want.

The to-do list is always greater than my actual production- but slowly I'm knocking things off. I've enjoyed some great movies, spent time catching up on the "to-read" pile, spent time with my family, slept late (okay, slept VERY late!), stayed up late (I LOVE staying up late), a little shopping, some gatherings, worshipped.

Vacation weeks always allow me to catch up with friends- and this week was no exception. We had a youth movie night where I was able to spend the evening with teens that I LOVE. It was fun and I enjoy hearing them laugh in unison! How thankful I am for friends that help in this ministry. Visiting area churches for their Christmas programs and taking a few minutes to catch up with friends I don't see as often anymore. As I was relaying some of my week's activities and was ticking off names, a friends said, "Wow, you have a lot of friends!". And I stepped back and thought about that and yes, indeed I do. How blessed I am!

Matt and Alicia were up visiting and it was a blessing to visit with them- even though far to short. I love hearing their stories of being transplanted to Virginia and the adventures they have had. I was able to spend time with Kim and Maria this week- and I just love them. They are a true example of godliness to me. So giving, sacrificing and wise. God has blessed me with wonderful examples. I was able to catch up with friends who are home from school too which is always lovely. Christmas Evening was spent with Bek, Sarah and Diana. I love laughing with these girls- that is what we do best!

The best though, was getting a phone call Saturday and seeing that it was my dear college roommate Carrie from Maine. Ahhh- I love this girl! We had some wonderful adventures during our first year at college and she was one of the first people who helped me see myself as a beautiful creation. I've loved hearing from her and what God has done in her life over the year- in June, I went to her wedding to a wonderful, godly man Steve (check out the June 07 post). As we talked, my heart was so full to hear how God has richly blessed them and their obedience. We spent hours talking (over two days because we couldn't finish our conversation the first day). She listened intently as I relayed the events of the last six months and she offered wise counsel and encouragement. When I think of Carrie, I think of someone who believes in me and sees things in me that I can't or won't. She is honest and forthright, qualities that I love! What a blessing she was to me!

Sunday evening, hours before our most recent snow storm hit, I was able to visit with my friend Katie for a bit. It's funny, I saw her last Sunday, but there wasn't a silent moment as we worked very hard to fill each other in on the events of the last week. Katie is a huge blessing to me- an encourager and someone who challenges me. She says the things I need to hear even if it is uncomfortable. She has a beautiful heart and I love that we share a common passion for ministry.

I am so blessed! Friendships that have spanned decades- and new friendships that have developed in the more recent years. Friends who I see daily (or what seems like it) and ones that our contact is less regular- but both as rich and real. Friends that span the ages- some of my closest friends are 15-20 years older than me and others are much closer to 21 than I'll ever be again. Beautiful picture of Titus 2! Women investing in women.

Thank you God for Friendship. It is work- I have to risk myself, give my time and energy- but the blessings I reap are immeasurable. Thank you for the Godly women you have put in my life- who disciple me and challenge me to be holy. Thank you for the relationships were their is mutual investment! In a week where I was feeling lonely, you reminded me of how much you have given me and how much I am truly loved! You supply our every need! Amen

No comments: