Saturday, May 26, 2007

Bored with God

This is the title of a book I'm reading for youth group at the recommendation of our area missionaries. It is a quick read but very timely. I've been convicted of my own apathy. I struggle with it just as our teens do. Often, I get so caught up in the "doing" that I fail to enjoy and simply "to be" in my relationship with Christ. Any relationship takes cultivation- and I know I need to put more attention into my relationship with the Lord. A number of situations have propelled me to prayer this week- specifically with some of our teens. In the end, I can't change their perspectives- only the Lord can. I am responsible however, for my responses, my teachablilty and humility.

I recommend this book if you work with young people in any capacity- I'm challenging our youth leaders to read it this summer.

We had a great Wednesday activity- a Photo Scavenger Hunt! The teen seemed to really enjoy themselves! My group did get cursed at- as we were recreating the famous Abbey Road picture- I guess some people didn't appreciate us holding up traffic. But everyone else was most gracious!

The most original "Doctor's sign"

Headstands at DD's with a little teamwork

Kissing a lobster
Chicken Dance by the Cat Hospital

With tools in a hardware aisle
Hugging a blue mailbox

Thumbs up by a cashier at Better Val-u- he really got into it Fishing in a bird bath- very nice people let us "borrow" their birdbath

Trying to fit as many as you can into the truck of your car- check out Levi!

Playing on a jungle gym- again- nice strangers let us "borrow" it


James- kissing a cow! (my group just kissed a package of ground beef)

Holding a chicken


The boys on Tal's Mustang Convertible
Definitely the best "Leap Frog in a Cemetery" picture!

I am excited that the official youth group year is coming to a close- I'm beat. And- I'm looking forward to a summer of regrouping, organizing and planning for the fall. Pray for our team- to be refreshed and to continue to grow individually and corporately. We are in need of more leaders- pray the Lord directs those HE wants to serve with us.

On the school front- There was great success this week in terms of organizing/clearing out my room. I went through all the books-(minus two shelves left to do)- and threw out books older than I am! Found some very embarrassing pictures of Barry Manilow which have now been added to our bulletin board (sad- my students are too young to know who he is). One of my fellow department members has also moved in- so there are three of us sharing my room. We're cozy! The kids are getting riled up in these last few days but we are managing. I think I'll be able to finish all my organizing/cleaning out this week- then I can start on next year's paperwork. I've been putting paras to work finding materials for next year- they are such a great help! If anyone has suggestions for low level books that are high interest (4-6th grade level)- let me know!

hmmm- what else? California is 1 month away!!!! So excited!
Hope you are all enjoying a "Memorable" Weekend-
Love Elisabeth

No comments: