Thursday, April 19, 2007

Home Again

It was a good drive down to Virginia. Having a van is great- we each took turns driving and catching a nap in the back. I was able to sleep off and on through the night and drove the final leg through Maryland, Delaware and Virginia. We had lunch with my cousin Patsy and then went over to the funeral home. They had a separate room for family- so we were able to visit a bit there before the service. All my cousins were there minus two. Most did not bring their spouses or children.

The service was really nice- there was a clear gospel presentation which was great! After a brief graveside service, we went back to my Uncle's house to visit as a family. It was nice to catch up with each of my cousins. Because my parent's had children late in life, all my cousins are well into their 40's and almost 60. Needless to say, we've had an unusual relationship. We are not extremely close due to distance but also generational gaps. Funny, for being the youngest cousin, I was the one who was trying to engage the most conversation. I caught up on all their children etc... It was nice to see that many of my cousins are walking with the Lord- but again, I saw the hardness of some hearts. There was a lot of laughter and stories shared- and I learned more about my family (I guess banana pudding was always a favorite treat at family gatherings...never knew). These events are odd because I know everyone but yet I don't really know them. They all grew up together- visited,played saw each other on holidays. And we- being so much younger and living further away- only saw them 1x a year for a day and lately its been 5 or 6 years in between visits. Oh well- that's how it is I guess. I hope that when I have a family, that I'll be able to create good memories and bonds for my children.

After, we went back to my cousin Patsy's house and visited. It was nice to get to know her husband better- they are a lovely couple. They had dated off and on over the years but did not get married until they were in their 50's. Man, I hope I don' t have to wait that long (he was a little slow on the uptake, I guess). But- they are enjoying life and serving the Lord together as christian school teachers. They have been a tremendous help to my uncle and his children.

We left early Wednesday morning. Again- I was able to rest a lot and read another great book from Rebecca (she knows how to choose them!). We made it back to Canterbury at 4:30. The coffee house went off without a hitch (except I forgot to make arrangements for two kids to have rides- so we had to send someone to get them...oops!). My friend's youth group came- and we had over 37 teens and over 25 adults. There was plenty of food and activities and everyone seemed to have a good time. We look forward to doing more with this youth group in the future. We are so blessed to have such an awesome facility for our teens. They all did a nice job with their presentations too.

Today- I'm relaxing. Just watched this week's LOST. It has been so good in recent weeks. Tonight I have a HOPE Board meeting. Pray we have wisdom and guidance. Tomorrow- I head back to the doctor's regarding my lungs. Saturday is Teens Involved- it will be a long day but I'm looking forward to it.

Well- spring break has not turned out how I expected but His ways are higher than mine!
Have a great day!

No comments: