Saturday, March 10, 2007

Agendas, God-sightings, and Thai Food

I went into youth group Wednesday with my own agenda. Last week, behavior was at an all time low. I was pretty discouraged. Way to much chatting and having to re-direct behavior. During refreshments, I spent most of my time pulling kids aside to remind them of our expectations. I'm not sure why they were like this- they had been doing so much better in recent months.

So- this Wednesday I went in, prepared for another round. Usually we start the night off with a game or ice breaker- but we didn't have one this evening (Aha!) They settled right down and I tried to make a connection with them immediately (all schools are involved in CAPT and CMT testing right now- so I wanted them to know that I understood what they were experiencing this week). We moved into our worship time- then announcements and finally sharing. I had a plan in mind for sharing time- regarding prayer, tying into last week's lesson. Then, James (see last post), had a question about the recent "discovery" of Christ's tomb. Most had heard about it and had a lot of questions. I was able to guide a discussion focusing on the authority of God's Word and how denying the resurrection of Christ allows man to do whatever he wants. WOW- they were into it! Full of questions, comments, and good insights! They listened respectfully to each other. Later, when we went into our lesson time- the discussion provided a perfect intro. What a God-sighting! And a good reminder to not give up on my kids- God is at work. And to be open to changes to my plans- to take those "rabbit trails"! We started our four week guy/gal studies. Both groups responded well- pray there is fruit (salvation for the gals and holiness for the guys).

Usually on Fridays, I stay late at work to get caught up on projects/paperwork and to get ahead for the coming week. Next week, I'm going to a three day training in Reading, so I won't be at school until Thursday. After school, my friend Katie stopped in (she is a para at school). Katie is 21 and a strong believer. She is an incredible encouragement to me at work. We don't get to really talk often, so it was nice to visit with her for awhile- about quiet time, ministry, friends, relationships etc... She is lovely! I left work around 6pm (yikes) and had to head out to church for 7pm for Worship Team practice. Friday's are the only night we can all make it to practice- and it really cuts down on opportunities to get together with friends. But, I got home and Rob messaged me "Wanna cancel?" Gotta admit I jumped at it! (don't worry, I'm not shirking responsibility- our two instrumentalists were sick/unavailable- so it would have been tough for the rest of us to practice). Instead, Rob, Bill, Bek, Bethany and I went out for Thai. It was so good (coconut w/shrimp soup was delicious)! We laughed so much- I think we cleared the place out! This band came in- they were decent but so LOUD. That was our cue to head home. Thank you Lord for a little break from the week to visit and be refreshed with friends.

Next week is our Missions Conference- I have a few roles to play. The teens are preparing and serving the ladies luncheon on Saturday. HOPE is involved with a display (which I've gotta make tonight!) and testimony and then, I'm supposed to help lead the worship time. We're practicing today- so I should sign off and head out! Pray for next week, it will be busy! Pray people are challenged to take steps out of their comfort zone to serve the LORD and that there will be increased interest in HOPE.

Love to you all~

1 comment:

Matt and Alicia DeWever said...

How encouraging... I can picture you doing all these things, and it makes me feel so warm & fuzzy inside my heart... or is that tonight's wine?

I came home tonight (from my 7th day at work)to Matt fixing dinner. Candles lit, Italian music on the stereo, and I just wanted to cry. The chaos at work mixed with his kindness at home just overwhelmed me. God reminds us again and again of His love.