Friday, March 16, 2007

Nature's Trick

Weather wise- this week has been wonderful! No need for those winter coats and gloves anymore, I was enjoying driving with the windows down!
Surprisingly, at 5:30 this morning the call came- Snow Day! I called the next teacher on the snow day chain and she said "We have a Snow Day- you have got to be kidding me????". The snow started around 10:00 am. It's expected to kick up a notch into the evening with freezing rain overnight and into the morning. So- they have cancelled our missions conference until tomorrow night. I feel bad because my friend Maria (and our teens) has already put a lot of time into preparing for tomorrow's luncheon. She will be disappointed. I'll miss seeing the teens- I was looking forward to them coming and hearing from the missionaries. Hopefully they'll come tomorrow night and Sunday.

In other news... I now know what a digraph is! (two letters that work together to make one sound such as "sh", "ch", "ck". ) I learned a few things during my reading training: a). I don't know how I ever learned to read. b). I don't know if I'm a good enough reader to actually teach someone else to read. c). I think I have a learning disability (really, I have no retention.... it's all becoming clear to me) d). I hate to be away from work for three days in a row- there is too much to catch up on when I return.

Actually- joking aside, the reading training was very good. I now have some direction for my reading skills classes and specifically for one boy who is a freshmen and still can not read. The task is overwhelming (props to those who are reading teachers) but I think I just have to get started.

Teen Club went well this week- we had a guest missionary in to share his testimony. In May, he is heading to Tanzania to do tribal work. We also just purchased new puppets for the group to use for Teens Involved- they are awesome. So big and life-like. The teens really like them! I would love to see a puppet team ministry develop. (we think this puppet looks like Josh- do you agree?)

Well- I really should continue to get projects done today. I've finished my mission's display for the conference, called a contentious parent regarding their child and watched Thursday's episode of LOST (love that show!)- but you know what... I'm in the mood for a movie! Yes- a really good, waste your time, wearin' my pj's, kind of movie! And maybe some hot chocolate!

No comments: