Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Missions Conference and Putting it into Practice



The Missions Conference went well- minus having to cancel 3 of the activities due to an unexpected snow storm. It did allow our teens to serve dinner to the missionaries and attend the opening meeting. I was glad they were able to go and a few showed interest in some of the specific ministries that were shared.

I enjoyed meeting the other missionaries that were there and hearing about their ministries. It was inspiring and allowed for some good networking. People showed interest and we received some sizable gifts- God is good!

Steve W. spoke about being a world christian vs. a worldly christian. One thing he shared was that a world christian asks, "Lord, what are you teaching me?" when difficulty comes while a worldly christian says, "Why me?" (sounding very similar to Nancy Kerrigan upon her run-in with the iron bar!)

Monday night allowed me an opportunity to put this into action. Right before going to bed, at about 10:30pm, I took my daily dose of medicine. Somehow I choked and started to cough. Immediately my breathing became difficult and I developed horrible chest pain. I tried to lay down, drink some water, even hot tea- but nothing helped. After an hour or so, my dad took be to the ER at Day Kimble (granted- we were in the middle of another unexpected snow storm).

I arrived at midnight and checked in. I had to wait about an 1.5 hours. In the meantime, the pain got worse, my breathing got worse and I developed serious nausea (which started rounds of vomiting- I'll spare you all the details!)

Finally, I was taken into a room and seen by the nurses. Everything just takes so long- especially with so many other serious cases. They come in and do something, then you wait an hour for them to return. I was exhausted, but couldn't get comfortable to rest. I basically had to sit straight up just to be able to breath. They had me get some chest x-rays and a cat scan. Pain relievers helped a bit (made me all warm and fuzzy) but I wasn't able to keep them down. They also started various breathing treatments and steroids (just like Arnold)- which slowly but surely began to work. The doctors really weren't sure what to do with me- or what exactly was wrong- but in the end they figured that some of the medicine had aspirated my lung (meaning- got into my lung). All the pain and difficulty breathing was caused by inflammation and bronchial spasms.

During the night, my dad stayed with me. He was a good sport- I know he was tired and very uncomfortable sitting up all night. I had a variety of roommates. One was a young mother whose baby was sick. She was agonizing over whether or not to have a spinal tap done on her baby. Later, a lady named Carmella took their place. She seemed to be in a lot of pain and was wailing quite a bit. Somehow I managed to fall asleep and she was gone when I work up. There had been an accident- and the 87 year old man involved was just outside my door. He didn't know where he was and was moaning a lot. The saddest was hearing a woman have to call her family to say their mother had died. Man, reality.

I spoke with a doctor around 7am and he decided to admit me into the hospital. I was actually surprised. Funny, at one point he said, "I hear you're having trouble with nausea" At that exact moment I grabbed the bucket and vomited. Sorry, Doc.

I was taken to my room at 10 am or so. I joined a women who seemed to be having difficulty in her colon. She was pretty uncomfortable. Most of the day, I slept on and off - in between medicine and visitors. Maria and Levi came to see me, and later Rob, Bill and my parents. Rebbecca and Mama H. rounded out the evening. I was able to chat with a few people from work and they were incredibly understanding and concerned. Pastor Paul visited Wed. which was nice.

By Wednesday morning, the chest pain had subsided, though I still had labored breathing and coughing issues. The respiratory technician was pleased and my chest x-rays were clear (pneumonia is a concern when you aspirate your lung). The doctor said he would keep me if I wanted to stay but that I could continue treatment at home- so I opted to come home. After a good hot shower, fresh clothes, a delicious lunch and nebulizer treatment 101- I was discharged at 12:30. I'm on the mend- but pray that my breathing clears- when I am active, it gets more difficult. I'm planning to head back to school tomorrow as long as the pain stays at bay. Work is piling up and I need to attend to it.

So- without further adieu, I'll share the top 10 things I learned during my stay at DKH.

10. Mama always said to wear clean underwear- she never told me to make sure the legs were shaved! So embarrassed.
9. Vomiting is contagious- you hear someone wretch and it has a dominoe effect. Now together, everyone!
8. Hospitals aren't that bad- I mean you get room service, a variety of foods to choose from (they even count your calories for you), free expanded cable and telephone, the call bell (oh my the call bell- "Nurse, can you bring me some water" "Nurse, clean up in aisle 4".
7. DKH is not the place to meet men- especially when the young and available see the unshaven legs. And all the orderlies and attendants are well above the age I'm willing to go!
6. You shouldn't feel bad when you puke in the doctor's face- hey, that's why they pay him the big bucks!
5. It is NOT fun to not be able to breathe- it's actually very scary!
4. It IS fun to be carted around in a hospital bed and/or wheelchair- talk about traveling in style!
3. Hospital attire does not come in "one size fits all"- It's more like "all sizes are guaranteed to expose your derriere"
2. It's nice to know people care about you- sad it takes going to the hospital to be reminded of it.
1. I try to do too much at one time! Next time, take one pill at a time. I even bought a pill cutter today for the hefty ones. Actually, I think this is what God wanted me to learn. Slow down, take it easy, don't do too much at once. And, He always provides others to step in and cover for you (thinking in the context of school and youth group). I am replaceable.
P.S.- sorry for all the references to vomit- hope it doesn't start the dominoe effect for you!

1 comment:

THE Cynical Fat Girl said...

Are you sure your Dad wasn't about to start a slide presentation? At least you brushed your hair before you went....